Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs)
ACCREDITED EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGIST
An Accredited Exercise Physiologist is a university qualified allied health professional. We specialise in the delivery of exercise and lifestyle therapies for the prevention and management of chronic disease, injury and disability. AEPs hold a four-year university degree, are registered with Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA) and are Allied Health Professionals. AEPs can register with Medicare Australia, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and WorkCover and are recognised by most private health insurers.
Rebates may apply when you train with an AEP or have a referral from your doctor. Please ask us for further information.
Patients requiring the specialist services of an AEP may be suffering from persistent pain, serious medical conditions or chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, mental health problems, cancer, arthritis or pulmonary disease etc. Some clients simply prefer the services of a fully qualified and educated AEP for their health and fitness regime.
How We Help
O2 Active AEP’s have worked diligently to collect a range of evidence-based research, assisting in formulating our programs, and driven their inception. We have over 17 years industry experience and are able to offer home visits, gym visits or patients may come to our locations. AEPs work as part of an inter-disciplinary team, to assist patients with chronic disease or injury to achieve their health goals. We assess, prescribe, educate, supervise and monitor exercise and lifestyle interventions. For more information on scope of practice see www.essa.org.au.
- Rehabilitation pre- and post- surgery.
- Clinical exercise prescription for people who are at risk or living with chronic
- Help manage a current disease or slow/prevent its progression
- Delivery of exercise and lifestyle modification programs.
- Clinical exercise as a compliment with medicine to significantly decrease drug dosage.
- Falls prevention and other age-related conditions.
- Education to improve self-management and incorporate more preventive services.
- PREVENTATIVE – strengthening the musculoskeletal joints for better post operation success and recovery rates. Strengthening functional capacity.
- REHABILITATION – prescribing and delivering strengthening programs, for functional, safe, and strong biomechanical movement patterns to strengthen the joints post-surgery to implement return to work, sport, or everyday activities.
- MAINTENANCE – ensure education of functional movement patterns to prevent re-injury or surgery; including ergonomic movements within the workplace.
Treatment and Management Process
1. INITIAL ASSESSMENT
- Physical and functional assessment
- Education of medical condition and support strategies
- Goal setting
2. EXERCISE PRESCRIPTION
- Clinical, home-based, gym-based, group and/ or hydrotherapy.
- Application of strength, balance, core, functional and flexibility exercises.
3. REVIEW AND PROGRESSION
- Client feedback and AEP assessment.
- Program enhancement and modification.
- Review, advice, ongoing support and lifestyle modification.
4. LONG TERM MANAGEMENT
- For patients with ongoing chronic issues or general strength and exercise purposes post rehabilitation, they can join our group exercise classes as a maintenance program ($20-$23). They will be able to incorporate exercise into their everyday lifestyle in a supportive environment where they can reap added social and mental health benefits too.
- Long term maintenance, education, support, and progression into suitable exercise group classes make their intervention solution long term, sustainable, and affordable.
Eligible patients can be referred by general practitioners to AEPs, under a GP Management Plan and a Team Care Arrangement, and for individual or group allied health services chronic disease management plan.
Patients may be eligible for Medicare (GP TCA required), Work Cover, Department of Veterans Affairs, TCA and Health Insurance rebates for exercise physiology services.
HOW WE REPORT BACK TO REFERRING CONSULTANTS
- Written initial and final reports
- Patient’s assessment and results
- Prescribed intervention and progressions
- Ensure all treating practitioners of the are up-to-date with the patient’s outcomes.
Whatever your reason, we’re here to help you achieve REAL CHANGE with REAL SUPPORT.
What Our Clients Say
Drew, 62 years.
“I have been working with O2 Active for 6 years now and they have kept me fit right up to a recent hip replacement. Caitlin is keeping me on track to a fast and full recovery. Without the excellent advice and support the recovery would have been much slower.”
Susan, 69 years.
“I decided years ago that I needed to make a commitment to a form of exercise that I could continue doing into advanced years. I was lucky to hear about O2 Active. Now 15 years on I still enjoy my weekly 3 visits… I’m impressed with their ability to manage problems which individual clients come to them with and the way in which they deal with them are very professional…”